It is officially Autumn. The temps have dropped to the 70’s and it’s cloudy and raining here. I finally feel like I can start to indulge in fall foods. This year I’m trying not to over do it with the fall favorites too soon. I still want to enjoy these things come November.
I never crave apples in winter, spring or summer, but as soon as September hits, they are all I think about. Eating an apple only seconds after it has been picked is quite the experience. Have you ever been apple picking? When I worked at Husted’s Market in Michigan, we would have bins and bins and bins of apples! Working there in the fall, was awesome. Cider made on location, apple picking, pumpkins and gourds everywhere, hay rides, and of course homemade donuts!
When I first started working at the Market I was about 15 years old. Making donuts seemed like the coolest thing in the world. We had this little machine in the back room called a Donut Robot. We made up the dough, poured it in the machine and went to work. There we several different varieties including, chocolate, plain, cherry, and pumpkin. But my favorite was the cinnamon sugar. So good when dunked in hot cider!
Even after leaving my job at Husted’s I’ve made a point to go back for the fall treats every year. But this year I won’t be able to make it back to Michigan until at least Thanksgiving. Tomorrow is my 25th birthday, so I’ve decided to make muffins that taste like cinnamon donuts. Why not!? I’ve never been a big fan of cake. I dunked these in some hot caramel flavored tea and it brought me right back. Almost just as good!
If you have been following my blog at all you might already know that I am a huge fan of muffins. They are kinda my go to treat when I want to bake. I’m also a huge fan of chocolate chip cookies, but I have no self control with those, so I stick with muffins! This recipe is really really simple. I use it for most of my muffins, just add and delete the flavorful things. This time I added cinnamon and chopped MacIntosh apples then topped with brown sugar and diced walnuts. If you want to play around with different versions, leave those ingredients out.
Cinnamon-Sugar Apple Muffins
1 1/2 cups white whole wheat flour
1/3 cup white sugar
1/3 cup packed brown sugar
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp cinnamon
1/3 cup canola oil
1 large egg
at least 1/2 cup vanilla soy milk
2 medium apples, chopped
brown sugar and diced walnuts for topping, optional
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Grease or line muffin tin.
- Stir together flour, sugars, baking powder, and cinnamon in a large bowl.
- In a 1 cup liquid measuring cup, measure 1/3 cup canola oil. Add egg to the oil.
- Add soy milk (regular milk works fine too) to the oil and egg until you have 1 cup of liquid. Whisk together until combined.
- Stir oil mixture into dry ingredient, until just combined. Don’t over mix, you may still see some floury spots.
- Stir in chopped apple, just until evenly distributed.
- Scoop into muffin tin. Should make about 10 muffins.
- Top each muffin with about 1 tsp of brown sugar and 1 tsp walnuts.
- Bake for about 20 minutes, or until toothpick comes out clean, and tops are slightly golden.
- Let sit for a few minutes, before moving to a wire rack to cool.
Hope you enjoy! Happy fall!